Samstag, 27. April 2019

SuzyBlue goes east 2019: floating monsteries in Greece, 24.-28.4.

After quite a wild night on the ferry - ask my room mate, she had to switch the whole night between bed and bathroom - I reached the Greece mainland at Igoumenitsa with no problems. SuzyBlue had just been tied to a thin little rope but she didn't take any damage. Getting off the ferry worked fine and so I headed on small roads through the still unknown countryside of Greece.

My aim for the first night was Kastraki, a little town at the foot of the Meteora rocks. Famous not only for climbers allover Europe but mainly for the 6 still inhabitated monasteries from the 14th century. All of them had been placed on top of alone standing, up to 500m high rocks. In earlier days the monks had to tow food, material and even people in a basket with a simple rope up to the monastery. Nowadays you can reach them through steep steps and there are loads of tourists visiting these monateries every year.
I visited just 2 of them, the rest I preferred to have a glance by walking from one to another through the beautiful, wild oak forests.


 









 

The next day I traveled on again through beautiful mountain area. At least one road was still closed due to snow - I gave it a try but had to turn back ;-)
Great winding roads, mostly in really nice conditions.








Lots of turtles on and next to the roads, some of them I could not help but rescue :-)



 

Soon I reached Neoi Pori, a little town next to the Agais sea. The village is REALLY quiet this time of the year, most of the shops, hotels and bars still closed. What means perfect for just relaxing :-)






SuzyBlue ha d a nice and cosy private parking place :-)
The next days I'll do some walking at the beach, hike up towards mount Olympos - with 2918masl the highest mountain in Greece and of course place of the greek gods of the antike. I'll not walk to the top as it is still covered in snow therefor I probably will miss Zeus and Co. ;-)






Keine Kommentare: