Donnerstag, 28. November 2019

SuzyBlue goes east 2019: Nepal part 1, deeply touched and completely fascinated; 04.10.-15.11.

Although it is not the best idea to travel by plane right now I'm again flying.... this time to Kathmandu, Nepal. I'm extremly excited what to expect. I spent lots of time doing research about the country, its history, its problems right now and even more after the devastasting earthquake 2015.
But through my many experiences I also know meanwhile that never something written can give a proper image of the reality.
After an easy flight via Istanbul and Delhi (as mostly I spend the time to watch some blockbusters) the plane takes course over the hills of Kathmandu Valley and Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal. The sky is quite clear and I can see the little villages, the uncountable small and curvy roads and even in the far the Himalayan mountain range. Wow..... this moment gives me defenitely the creeps. And I guess it will not be the last one ;-)
Once on the ground the typical chaos takes over: hundreds of people try to rush through the security check - and nobody takes any notice that the metal scan peeps all the time. Most grab a trolley for the luggage and bung the anyway tiny arrival area around the luggage belt. As the luggage of my flight is not unloaded yet I stand at the wall, right out of the way of all the rushing people and observe grinning the chaos. What is totally normal for the locals seems to upset some of the tourists quite a bit. Phhh... they can look forward to the rest of the trip when something harmless like that already makes them that nervous.

 
 
After a while the screen shows that the luggage of my flight has been unloaded and I try to find a place at the belt to look for my suitcase. There is almost nothing you cannot find on the belt: huge trekkers backpacks, suitcases in all possible sizes, big LCT-tv's..... the only thing not showing up is my own suitcase even after 1.5 hours of waiting. I report it at the "lost&found"-counter and am really happy that most of my personal things are in my little handbag as the suitcase is filled with clothes and laptops for the ROKPA children's home. Once again it is good to be able to travel with small luggage as in the end I'll have to wait 5 days (!!) until I get my suitcase. I leave the airport after changing some local currency and I'm happy that I'm informed about the proper price for the ride from the airport to my guesthouse. Some of the taxi drivers try to earn almost a monthly salary from the tourists. It is ok for me to pay more than the locals but there is still a reasonable limit.
With my motorcycle-trip coming the unknown left-side-traffic, the dusty and bumpy road, the chaotic and noisy driving style make me already a little bit nervous. I guess it will be quite a challenge to be part of the traffic on an own bike.
Meanwhile I'm quite tired and I'm really happy that arriving at the ROKPA's guesthouse I can go to my nice and cosy room immediately. I take a nap for some hours and try to adapt to the time change.



 
 

The guesthouse is situated just a couple of walking minutes away from the famous and really beautiful Bouddhanat Stupa - the biggest Stupa in the world - which I explore already on my first afternoon in Kathmandu.

 
 



















I use the first week to explore the rest of Kathmandu, make even a excursion to the nearby king's village Bakthapur. Thanks to Hansueli - a Swiss biker who comes to Nepal for many years already - I get to know some Nepalis who show me around. Sharmila and her brother Sudan bring me to the most important sightseeings (Pashupatinath, Swayamabhunat, etc.), either on a scooter or on foot. It is very interesting and entertaining to be shown around by locals. I receive information and gain insights I would never have otherwise.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Sharmila und Sudan invite me as well to join their family. What a luck: during that week Nepal celebrates "Dashai", one of the most important festivals, mainly for families as most of the Nepalis return to their families even to the remote little villages. Kathmandu is far more quiet and relaxed than usual. I'm blessed with a so-called "Tika", a coloured sign on the forehead which should bring me luck and health. Some weeks later there is already another festival, the "Tihar" or festival of lights. The houses are decorated with chain of lights and in front of each house entrance the put a line of lights, gifts and decoration to show the way for the goddess "Lakshmi" who will bless the people living in this house. This festival is taking 5 days and each day has a certain background or is dedicated to an animal that is important to the humans: the crow (message of the death), dog, cow and ox. On the last day many music groups walk dancing and singing through the streets and welcome the Nepali New Year. Again I'm invited to spend the day with Sharmila's family: the mother with her 7 children and 10 grand children. A cheerful and noisy bunch of people and all of us in a little three-rooms apartement. A really memorable and impressing day I sure won't forget.

 
 
 




















The city, the people, the poverty, the many impressings, noises and smells are sometimes almost overwhelming. It is wunderful, fascinating, touching and startling at the same time. But I wouldn't want to miss a second I'm able to spend here in Nepal.

It is time now to move somehow as the guided motorcycle-trip is pending. But more about that in my next post "Nepal part 2" .... stay tuned ;-)

Keine Kommentare: