Mittwoch, 5. August 2015

Tuesday, August 4, 2015: the way to the Monument Valley - or a memorable day!



Summary of the day: after more than 10'000km Suzy had twice ground contact today :-(

Full story:
This morning it took a while until I had stowed away my clothes properly on the bike. 5 days at the same place I am developing a tendency to spread out all my belongings… but well, I was in no hurries....
But then on I went towards Monument Valley. The much-vaunted No. 12 (Utah, East) and the Burr Trail (just google it, there is plenty of information about it!) At the beginning I had the feeling: Well, the No. 12 is not THAT special now. And then again the multiple large road signs: Motorcycles must drive extremely carefully, very tight curves on the next 160km !!! Well that was something I had learned to ignore as it always turned out to be harmless. But this time I was completely wrong. Between Escalante and Boulder an eye-opener chased the other. The landscape once again stunning and curves without end.








Then in Boulder I filled up with fuel (a mistake, as it turned out later) and for once bought water and a banana (which turned out to be perfect - later) ...
The first 30km on the Burr-Trail were still paved, then suddenly came a fine gravel road. The longer the way, the more gravel there was - but really great to drive, even with full luggage and without lowering the pressure of the tires. I trained busily "watch forward" while driving the curves and it was getting better (and faster). Between again and again a stop to take pictures from that awesome scenery.
After about 40km gravel road then again a big sign: Caution on the next 5km (or so) many switchbacks. Well, let's see J
And really; besides that the road went now quite steep downhill, there switchbacks to see - nota bene on the finest gravel. Before getting on to that challenge I again wanted to make a picture. Without further ado parked the motorcycle on the roadside and made the obligatory photos. While I got back on the motorcycle there was that flash of thought: Judith, be careful. Suzy Blue is already straight on the side stand without you on it ... but that thought was already too late. Of course, my weight has pressed down the saddle and forced Suzy Blue to the right. Until my right foot finally had contact with the ground, Suzy Blue had it as well!! Super, Judith. It remains my secret what all nice words came to my mind about my stupidness. Ok: take off all possible baggage, jerk Suzy Blue in a better location for setting up, ignore the leaking gasoline (the overflow and from the tank lid) and try. But what can I say, every time I had it so far that I could slowly help with the rest of my body, the front wheel slipped away in the gravel - and in about 2 meters distance from the slope. Stones and the rest of my luggage set in front of the wheel – it helped nothing. So I had no choice as to wait - at the traffic a matter of hours. Now I was happy to have a banana and water with me. After about half an hour (what a luck), a pickup came down the mountain. An American couple on honeymoon. They helped me in setting up, I threw my luggage onto the pickup and I then boldly drove ahead - purely into the switchbacks. Suzy Blue did not want to start the engine – no wonder after that treatment. But after some fruitless tries to get her started by let her roll down I finally was successful (which again made me a bit proud in that situation: steep and on gravel). Down in the valley we took some pictures, changed adresses and still made jokes that we certainly would run into each other again as we had the same route in mind.



 










And on we went; Suzy Blue had no damages, my pride, however, had!! After another 20km then suddenly a little creek crossing the street – there was even a sign "when flooded do not pass". All right; it was not a flood and driving back was not an issue. More headaches than the water gave me the rather steep entrance and exit from the creek. But I just gave it a try. As I already had the practice several times from last year’s Tuscany offroad-week. With well-dose pace down, purely in the creek, on the other side out with a little more speed to be sure not to dig the tyres into the mud. Unfortunately there was a big fat rock hidden under the sand right at the end of the exit. My front wheel according to law slipped to the right as I accelerated a bit.
And it came as it had to come (my offroad friends will lough now – as this is my “bestseller” on every offroad-week):  Suzy Blue grounded in the roadside ditch right after crossing successfully the creek. But since I knew that my two "angels" were just a few minutes behind me, I just kept waiting for them. They had been quite amused to meet me again in the same situation (and probably doubt now whether I really will manage it to drive down to South America). Suzy Blue put up again and bye. Nothing happened, I had got to know two great, helpful Americans and had learned veeery much:

- I will probaly not be able to put up alone Suzy Blue downhill and on gravel (or similar) without damaging something (greetings from my back!)
- The luggage on the side have held and also preserved Suzy Blue to any damage; turn signals, mirrors, latches, levers .... everything ok.
- I will try not to be that stupid again and think twice when stopping at the roadside
- I will hire a coach next year who will exclusively practice creek passages with me ;-)


In the long turn: a remarkable day; the worst point in the end: I found a room in a town with no alcohol at all. So no nice and cool beer after that exhausting and hot day!
 

Keine Kommentare: