Donnerstag, 3. September 2015

Saturday, August 29 - Monday, August 31, 2015: Mexikos mainland: 3. and last part….would have liked to stay longer here…..



Since I did not want to drive the distance of Puerto Angel to San Cristobal de las Casas in one day, I took some time and went on one of the countless, beautiful beaches and have a swim. That was actually not that easy as there sometimes had been really big waves. But it was nice to cool down a little form the heat. 


















Later in the afternoon I still had quite a long, almost completely straight part of street coming. I wanted to drive some more so I then the next morning could drive right into the nice curvy mountain road. Soon I saw a huge windfarm right and left of the road. Oh, no just right and left - as far as you could see hundreds of wind turbines. Totally impressed with that sight I obviously did not realize in time that such huge wind turbines of course indeed require corresponding huge winds to rotate. What followed was really a torture: permanent brutal crosswinds, repeatedly interrupted by still more violent gusts of wind. I had all the trouble to keep my bike in the land. Had her all the time just a little leftwards but again had to be aware of windbreaks for not fall to the side. Passing trucks made the already uncomfortable situation not better. But I got through and was so happy that I just headed to the next available Motel. As usual reasonabe price, sage paring spot and near to the village to stock up with some food and a beer (and a lot of water). And once again I was approached by the seller of the village shop: where from, whah sort of machine; he seemed really interested and happy to chat with me - and me too, of course. For these sort of conversations my Spanish is ok meanwhile ;-)





 














The next day - Sunday - then the cozy mountain route up to San Cristobal de Las Casas. As always on Sunday as good as no traffic and I enjoyed the drive up the mountain from sea level to 2000m again. Well, "as good as no traffic" came to an abrupt end when I arrived in San Cristobal. A totally charming, but crazy tourist town. Through the narrow and often “one-way” streets through and all of a sudden  stopped by a parade. Not what I had seen in the USA but far more like our carneval-parades in Switzerland: crazy masks and sort of carneval music. Although it was quite warm even at this level, I've enjoyed this spectacle but was after about one hour happy when I arrived in my hostel. And again I could park the motorcycle in the middle of the  courtyard. And what a surprise: motorcyclists and cyclists were given the first night for free! The Rossco's is really a great hostel, in the middle of the city. And there I went as well after having a quick shower. Many marketstands with local products (woven garments, scarves, jewelry, leather goods, etc.) and as always throughout the mobile street vendors, many of them from the indigenous people of the Tzotzil Maya. What rather surprised (and annoyed me personally) were the many stranded hippies selling as well some selfmade tinkered jewelry. At the hostel they explained to me that there were originally mainly Argentines meanwhile but as good as all nationalities were represented – I did not really found out why they had chosen San Cristobal. But the mobile street vendors not always being easy to handle: sometimes quite troublesome to be addressed every few minutes and over and over again: „no, muchas gracias, compro nada“.Well but I guess that is just part of everyday life here. On Monday then I decided to have a lazy day, washed my bike clothes and planned the coming days; now it is definite that my days in Mexico are counted. As it was pouring down like as if it was world’s finest day for two hours in the afternoon I was quite glad that I had not taken the first planned ride around the city – wouldn’t have been no fun. In the evening a "bonfire" in the courtyard of the hostel and tastings of various mojitos ... .uiuiuiui ... .. too many of them are not for me - but they are fine ;-)



at the Rossco's in San Cristobal de Las Casas







 



















On Tuesday an early start because I wanted to go to Palenque and also look at the famous Mayan ruins. Meanwhile I have learned that - even if the roads are ok - more than an average of 50kmh is not to make. Too much time eating the many villages with the countless "bumps" (hey, they really do get on my nerves by now!). 


And finally of course I always “had” to take some pictures and wanted to see as much as possible from the landscape - and in between a taco stop against hunger of course ;-)
The population in this area (Chiapas = feared Zapatistas) often lives very poor and exploited every meter to mostly grow corn. Many houses (sometimes really just shacks) apparently still without electricity and other amenities of the "modern world". What at first glance seems to be quite dangerous but here also belongs to the everyday life: many people with huge machetes on the street. But of course not to threaten passing Swiss female motorcyclists but do their daily work in the fields. But still quite an unusual sight.


 














 After the quite pleasant cool temperatures in San Cristobal then as prevailed in Palenque again hot and humid, well over 35 ° C. I - usually not so easily – was sweating wet within minutes, little rivers flowing everywhere: his face and in all available little “valleys” ;-) water supply therefor was also for me now actually always an issue. Since this was my last day in Mexico, I've indulged the luxury of a spanish speaking guids who told me everything about the most important ruins.
Palenque is an incredibly large ruins landscape where only 20% are open to the public. The remaining area is a nature reserve and is monitored via satellite. In this area there are still countless overgrown ruins. Again impressive how the Maya's lived and dominated for centuries the whole area.



tree of life


 
So my last day in Mexico comes to an end with many interesting impressions. Tomorrow I will cross the border to Guatemala in El Ceibo. And another infinitely large, beautiful country will be “past”. Not a minute - apart from the problems with the vehicle’s permit - I felt uncomfortable or even threatened. Again you could spend weeks here, that incredibly versatile was Mexico. The people I have met, respectively who so often spoke to me on their own initiative, without exception friendly and interested. And in the music of the most famous Chiapa-representative, I fall immediately in love (Julion Alvarez y Su Norteño Banda)- took me three weeks to find out who the music was from and after I had heard it all over again.
Well - so therefore another country on my trip I certainly want to visit again. If this keeps up I'll have to divide my holiday well in future ;-)



1 Kommentar:

Unknown hat gesagt…

Heeee lady of the lake mountain.... wooow just caught up with your blog again. Glad to see that all is going well. You are doing great. But heeee that choice of music....ooohhhh boyyy.
Julion Alvarez y Su Norteño Banda ..... jeeeezzzz. We gotta talk about that when we meet again. When you get to Colombia check out Shakira.... now that's music.... ;-)

Your pictures are super, as are the stories. Also the tips & address of good hostels, hotels etc are super welcome, am book marking as I go along.

So now it's adios mexico y hallo Guatemala

Ride safe, keep the rubber side down have fun y disfrutar al máximo ;-) Vince