Sonntag, 26. Juli 2015

Monday, July 20th – Wednesday, July 22nd: California‘s Highways and versatile San Francisco

Neskowin – Eureka – San Francisco

Hard to believe but I already reached the fourth State on my way south: California

Most of the time on Hwy. 101 I drive right through the sensational Redwoods, along the incredibly huge and very old Sequioa’s : up to 100m in hight, 6 meters in diameter and some more than 2000 years old. Absolutely breathtaking and I think about what these trees have seen, experienced (cold, heat, storms, stupid tourists) and suffered. To stand at the basement and look up into the treetop…. gives you a new understanding for dimensions. How small and fragile are we human beings in comparison!
     

Soon I leave Hwy. 101 and drive down to the famous Hwy. No.1 J
This part, the section along the coast (again quite cool with clouds and mist) as well as the part back to Hwy.101 a bit later (that would be Hwy. 20) is simply the best that you can expect driving a motorcycle : Kurve um Kurve with a (for me perfect) speed around 100kmh, almost no traffic – and the few that is on the road takes the next turn-out as soon as they realise the motorcycle behind and let you pass. And always a breathtaking scenery: either the coast or the redwoods. Finally I got rid of
the nippels on the side of my tyres ;-)

As I had planned to drive right through to San Francisco I go back to Hwy. 101, although quite some traffic the nearer th city no problems at all. And all of a sudden, one last curve and I am driving with my Suzy Blue over the Golden Gate Bridge. What a feeling, I am completely overwhelmed – hard to describe but an absolut great feeling!!
I found my hostel quite easily (thanks to the clear structure of the streets). My hostel was really a great spot to stay (a formely hotel and with all amenities you just could think of) but I also realised quite soon why it was that pricy: trash and garbage everywhere and many homeless people getting ready for the sleep on the street. I was really happy to be able to park my motorcycle in a guarded parking.
The next day I visited – together with a young Swiss guy I had met in the bar oft he hostel – all the famous „hotspots“ of San Francisco: Fishermen’s Wharf, Pier 39, Hardrock Cafe, Lombard-Street
and of course driving the cable cars up and down, always hanging on the outside. What a fun !
Unfortunately the weather still not good for a nice picture of the Golden Gate Bridge.

It was a great day – and still: I realise that I am defenitely not made for the city. I already look forward to the time that I will spend in the National Parks. 

 






 

The next day I listen to the Swiss guy's advice and leave the city at sunset. And hey, now I finally get the chance to make some nice pictures oft he Golden Gate Bridge – and meet by the way three Siwss PIlotes from Switzerland which are three days in San Francisco and hired Harelys fort he time. What a surprise fort hem to see a Motorcycle with registration plates from Luzern J

 

1 Kommentar:

Vince hat gesagt…

Heee lady of the lake mountain...... just caught up with your blog again. Really enjoying your story & pictures. You are making good time & distance. Also you seem to have it planned well.

Glad little susy blue is feeling oke again. Bet she was pissed off at your hour of fun on the quad, thats something I wanna do.....

One of the best part of any trip are the people that you meet along the way.... the conversations, the ideas & the dreams of people.....

Glad your cuisine skills are improving ;-) Did you also have a packet of smarties with the risotto??? :-)

Have fun, keep the round knobby black things pointing down. Massive storms here in Holland, today rain rain rain .... hugs Vince