Donnerstag, 2. Juli 2015

Wednesday, July 1st 2015: Alaska in the rain

I got up early this morning, trying to get on the road by time. Wanted to enjoy my first day of riding Alaska's highways. I packed easily, said goodby to the Southkorean girl who stayed in the same room for the last 3 nights. After a short phonecall to my mum back home "now that's nice that you are calling, but is it not too expensive to call me?".... I finally took off

The plan for today was driving up Parks highway to Denali, stay there overnight and then drive the Denali Hwy. heading to Paxson. That would mean 200km of gravel road and what I heard about: a stunning beautiful landscape and the chance of even seeing some wild animals.
But let's get back to the start first.....

Driving on the highway was not really a thing, the only interesting was the landscape that became wider, more forests, more mountains. Quite a bit along the highway was burnt land and it seemed not to be a long time ago. So far so good. But after about 1 hours drive it started to rain and the temperature was falling rapidly. Not really funny to drive but with my rainclothes on still no problem. I even could drive my first 5km of gravel: the street was freshly paved on a distance of 50km, part of it without any pavement yet. "motorcycles must drive extremely cautios" was written on a sign. I think this was more meant for the Harley drivers... this little gravel was of course no problem for my Suzy Blue. The only unfamiliar feeling is that she is quite packed and therefor different to handle. But I will learn it the longer the trip will last.
As driving the highway was not really heavy work and the temperature still kept going down my llittle three fingers on both hands decided to fall into wintersleep. So after 3 more hours I stopped by at a road house, having some nice hot coffee. While I had quite some difficulties to wake my fingers up again the Americans coming in ordered Icecream, wearing shorts and flipflops.... strange enough for me! Back to the street I was happy to reach finally Cantwell where the Denali highway starts. Because of the bad weather I had the plan to stay overnight in a cosy lodge or so. But no way, everything was booked. So I went to a campingsite and stayed my first night in Alaska in the rain with 6°C..... not really cosy but still everything is dry - at least what is meant to be dry.

As the wireless net on the campingsite broke down yesterday, this entry just comes one day too late.
Weather conditions are still the same, I will have to pack my wet tent as it is and am quite curious what the gravel road will be....

Unfortunately no pictures today.... I was stupid enough to erase yesterday's pictures before saving them on the laptop. But I'm quite sureI will be able to make some other rain-pictures today again ;-)

2 Kommentare:

Eshe hat gesagt…

Hi Judith!

Love reading about your travels!
If you want I'll post your route whenever I can in the comments like below.

Route so far:
https://goo.gl/maps/85Fkw

Eshe

Judith Seeberger hat gesagt…

Hi Eshe. Thanks a lot...would love it!! :-)