Mittwoch, 8. Juli 2015

Sunday, July 5th – Tuesday, July 7th 2015: Canadian Camping and other stories….


Whitehorse – Watson Lake – Meziadin Junction – Terrace: appr. 1200km


         


Already three days since my last Blog. Three days of driving on through the huge landscape of Yukon and British Columbia. Cruising smoothly (yes, that’s even with my offroad-used DRZ400 possible) on the highway 37 towards Prince Rupert. Again I saw breathtaking, beautiful spots and now even some wild animals: 2 mooses, 2 buffalos, 1 white-tailed sea eagle, uncountable sand squirrels and red squirrels, and even 1 bear unhasty crossing the street. So the days are just going by in an already „regular“ way. I get used to that way of living and feel really good with it J








 funny driving over these metal ridges !!






The most funny thing during the last few days? The Canadian official campgrounds: mostly no water (and so of course no showers), no electricity, no WiFi/telephone-availability. But in every campsite a table and bench and a firplace made out of a metal barrel with integrated grill ! SO I tried out my fire-making skills and hey, I got a really nice fire, lasting for some hours and feel absolutely cosy (still in the middle of bear-homeland). The bigger problem was to buy some food for me. All the stores just have food in XXL-amounts. As because of the bear you should not leave any food overnight ( and I do not have a car to close it in) I made quite a funny mix of food: some baked potatoes, 1 pack of Salami, 1 cream cheese and 1 pack of tortillas (they are really great roasted on the grill). What sounds a bit weared turned out to be a tasty dinner: Tortilla Wraps „à la Judy“, going together with a nice and hot Earl Grey tea…. After that I slept like a baby and did not bother about any bears hanging around my tent.

 











The most interesting during these days were the ecounters with all kind of different people: a Swiss couple at the gas station, the employee at Wallmart (actually a student from India) who sold me the cellphone and the camera), the three retired bikers at the campsite who invited me to join their 
„beer—and-gossip-party“ ;-)
No matter where I buy something or make a rest, people start talking with me. That’s really great and makes this journey even more interesting.


Tomorrow I will be heading to Prince Rupert… sort of „back to civilization“…. at least fort he moment :-)
  


nothing "wild" but my 3 companions on that trip :-) 











1 Kommentar:

Vince hat gesagt…

Heeeee lady of the lake mountain, love the bug eyed companions ... really super. I always take a little companion along, for years now & I always keep them. Have to admit some of them are a bit grubby. Good to see that you are settling into the journey & all is going well. Think susy blue is the best bike for the job. Their is an old Tibetan (I think) saying which goes something like "Time of loneliness is the best time to make friends with yourself"

Judith go for it & enjoy .....
Keep the rubberside down hugs Vince